The Butterfly House seasonal intern is a full time (for 26 weeks) temporary position starting April 5, 2021 through October 4, 2021 (37.5 hours per week with no benefits) reporting to the Volunteer Coordinator. He/she will assist with the day to day needs of the butterfly house and surrounding area which includes garden maintenance, monitoring the balance and health of caterpillars and butterflies within the Butterfly House, and interacting with the volunteers and visitors.
- Provide recommendations and suggest resolutions to the day to day needs and issues within the Butterfly House and surrounding Pollinator Gardens.
- Complete garden maintenance as discussed with Volunteer Coordinator. Lead volunteers in the completion of tasks.
- Work with, and be a resource to the volunteers. Provide input for weekly team updates.
- Promote growth and education of volunteers and visitors.
- Assist with reinforcing training provided by the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Actively participate in guiding visitors and touring the gardens
- Meet regularly with Volunteer Coordinator and on occasion with the Director of Community Engagement to review goals and assess progress of program strategies.
- Support educational presentations to visitors.
- Option to identify and conduct a related focus project, presenting findings by end of season.
- Work some weekend days and occasional evenings if Tyler is open.
- Assist in the creation of blogs, videos and social media if time/talent allows.
- Training in conservation, and a basic knowledge of flowering perennial plants and host plants, required
- Knowledge of lepidoptera and garden insects common to this area will be required and can be learned during the initial weeks on the job. Must be comfortable around insects, including caterpillars and bees.
- Gardening skills and plant identification knowledge, highly desirable.
- Possess strong people skills, required
- Possess strong communication skills.
- Able to lead by example.
- Experience in public speaking or leading tours is ideal.
- Requires frequent and prolonged standing, walking, bending, kneeling, pulling, twisting and climbing.
- Must be able to frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work outdoors in heat and humidity
Please send cover letter and resume to Nancy Heinbaugh @ email@example.com. This should outline your career goal(s) and how can this internship support your career goal(s).
No phone calls please.