Are you looking to work for an amazing, people-focused, world famous company with a small, tight knit team, the members of which are all focused on the stewardship of natural lands?
Then Tyler Arboretum might be the place for you.
We’re always open to hearing from talented, creative, passionate people with a love of nature, horticulture, and the outdoors. If you like people, wildlife, trees, native plants, meadows, and woodlands, and if you’d like to work for a company that makes a difference in the lives of thousands of people every year, we’d like to hear from you.
Gardener: Non-Exempt, Full Time – 37.5 hours/wk with benefits. Reports to the Director of Horticulture.
Reporting to the Director of Horticulture, the Gardener will be responsible for the maintenance of the horticulture collections, including perennial borders and groundcover plantings, gardens, trees and historic collections. Additional responsibilities include equipment maintenance and working with volunteers. This is a full-time position 7am to 3:30pm Monday to Friday, and will be benefits-eligible after the successful completion of the 60-day Introductory Period.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain turf, woody and herbaceous plant materials, trails and natural areas in excellent horticultural and aesthetic condition.
- Assist in the maintenance of all grounds maintenance equipment and support tools.
- Assist in maintaining all interpretive signage, both temporary and permanent, throughout the arboretum.
- Maintain all structural elements in the landscape, including fence repairs, directional signs, ponds and water courses, road and walk surfaces and snow removal.
- Assist with Special Events at the direction of the Director of Horticulture and Arboretum Manager.
- Supervise interns and volunteers as required.
- Occasional Weekend, Evening and Holiday work required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a BS or equivalent training in horticulture or a related field
- 3-5 years working experience
- Valid State issued motor vehicle operator’s license and insurability
- PA Pesticide Applicator’s License
- General work on the Arboretum’s grounds
- Requires frequent and prolonged equipment use, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, pulling, twisting and climbing.
- Must be able to frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Please send cover letter and resume to Mike Karkowski, firstname.lastname@example.org References will be requested following initial interview. Tyler Arboretum~ 515 Painter Road ~ Media, PA 19063
DIGITAL MEDIA & MARKETING MANAGER: exempt, full-time. Reports to the Chief of Staff.
Tyler Arboretum is seeking a detail-oriented collaborator with exceptional interpersonal skills and a growth-oriented mindset to join our team. You will work with experts across the organization to develop and coordinate the plan for all social media posts, e-mail marketing campaigns, website updates, public relations, branding & merchandising, printed materials, and other marketing communication functions. In this role, you will help educate and engage the community, encourage visitation (especially first-time visitors), drive membership, support development, and assist with events.
The position is flexible and can include a hybrid working environment after training. Available hours of 10-3pm M-F is a must. Will include some weekend and evening hours.
- Plan, execute and manage social media marketing
- Oversee all digital and printed materials and campaigns
- Represent Tyler at events
- Work with our internal experts to capture information to share
- Develop creative ways to attract new people to Tyler
- Collaborate with staff to monitor campaigns and analyze metrics to determine how activities translate to revenue generation, including creating an impact report for the organization
- Forge partnerships and collaborate with other organizations
- Participate on the Marketing Committee of Board and staff members.
- At least 2 years of marketing communications experience, including planning and executing social media strategies.
- Excellent social skills.
- Creative and detail-oriented with project management experience.
- Exceptional written communication and editing skills.
- Ability to capture beautiful nature images for social media posts.
- Some driving required in own vehicle.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
- Ability to build relationships and manage volunteer experts and creative content creators.
- Computer skills: proficiency in MS Office, Google Analytics, WordPress, Social Media Planning Tools, CRM such as ALTRU.
- Flexibility to understand needs and effectively communicate to many different audience segments.
- Design skills are a plus. You must be able to capture and curate images and create a consistent and professional brand image.
- Must be effective and efficient, able to use limited resources for the greatest impact.
- A passion for the natural world.
- Possess a high level of professionalism
We offer a welcoming team-based environment, which means at times you may need to assist other staff in setting up for events or perform other physical duties. We encourage exploration of the natural world as part of your work environment but you will also work in an office environment.
Application deadline: June 1, 2022
Application: Please send a cover letter and a résumé to:
Chief of Staff
515 Painter Road, Media, PA 19063
Tyler Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Site Services Associate: Non-exempt, Part-Time, up to 24 hours a week. Reports to the Director of Site Services.
Tyler Arboretum is seeking an energetic, organized individual with great customer service skills to join our Site Services team. This person will be primarily responsible for working at
least one weekend day and ensuring great service throughout the arboretum on that day. We project a positive & professional image of Tyler Arboretum to the public, while enhancing
visitor experience through a sincere customer-driven approach.
Hours are part-time and flexible; daily shifts typically run between 5-8 hours. This position is capped at 24 hours per weekly pay period, and is not eligible for benefits. Weekend availability is essential; some evening work throughout the year. Position will require at least one full (8 hour) Saturday or Sunday per week.
- Maintain clean Restrooms throughout the arboretum property.
- Trash removal
- Interact daily with the public, including children, volunteers and staff from all levels of the organization
- Security checks of buildings and closure of Edible Garden gates
- Assist with the operation of rentals and weddings including preparation of rental spaces, and directing guests to/from rentals, events and weddings.
- Serve as back-up to the Visitor Center Staff, including processing admissions fees, memberships and merchandise sales.
- Maintain merchandise displays and inventory.
- Provide excellent customer service by phone, email and in person.
- Develop a working knowledge of Tyler’s trail system, plant collections and our rich history in order to be the best ambassador to our guests as possible.
- Ability to move tables and chairs on a regular basis.
- Custodial work will be required.
- Strong customer service experience.
- Retail and cash handling experience; emphasis on merchandising is a plus.
- Solid computer and database skills (main software: ALTRU and Microsoft Office).
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to work independently.
- Passion for the natural world is desirable.
- Strong spirit of cooperation and teamwork.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Tyler Arboretum provides a welcoming team-based work environment.
- General office environment; often fast paced during our busy seasons.
- Requires frequent, repetitive and prolonged lifting, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, pulling, twisting and climbing.
- Must be able to regularly lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Application: Please send a cover letter, with a minimum of three references, and résumé to:
Brian Prato, Director of Site Services
Tyler Arboretum, 515 Painter Road, Media, PA 19063
Tyler Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer