Lucille’s Garden Assistant
Lucille’s Garden Assistant: Part-Time, Seasonal, 24 hours per week (not to exceed 370 hours, days negotiable), no benefits. Reports to: Curator at Lucille’s Garden
The PT Garden Assistant is to support the day to day functions of Lucille’s Garden which includes but not limited to the following:
- Planting, weeding, watering, grooming, pest control, harvesting, blowing off with backpack blower and post-harvest processing which includes the surrounding areas.
- Coordinates and oversee volunteer and intern tasks with the Curator. When the Curator is absent, Assistant will supervise.
- Provide visitor information regarding Lucille’s Garden, Tyler Arboretum and general gardening.
- Provides support for the up keep of the Production Information Data as well as plant labels and instructional signage in the garden.
- Provides support for garden construction and complete some light janitorial duties as assigned.
- Perform storm cleanup: picking up sticks, mud removal, blowing off, raking, moving furniture etc.
- Work up to 2 weekends per month – schedule TBD
- Have experience working outdoors: landscaping, conservation and other, required.
- Have experience growing organic vegetables and know basic principles, desirable.
- Must be detailed oriented, self-directed, outgoing, flexible, organized and be able to think on one’s feet, required.
- Experience working with volunteers and interns preferred.
- Able to communicate effectively: verbal and written, required.
- Basic Microsoft suite working knowledge, preferred.
- A desire to learn and experience new processes and ideas, required.
- An associate’s degree in horticulture or any conservation field, desirable.
- Garden maintenance at Lucille’s Garden
- Requires frequent and prolonged equipment use, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, pulling, twisting and climbing.
- Must be able to frequently lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Tyler Arboretum, a public garden in the Philadelphia suburbs, covers 650 acres of renowned plant collections, champion trees, historic buildings, with 17 miles of hiking trails through woodlands, wetlands, and meadows. Tyler offers workshops, classes, and tours for adults and children throughout the year.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
Julia Lo Ehrhardt, Director of Community Engagement,
References will be requested following initial interview.
Tyler Arboretum~ 515 Painter Road ~ Media, PA 19063
Tyler Arboretum is an Equal Opportunity Employer